Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Some people just don't understand

And I know only one who does.

I thank God for bringing me to Tioman and getting to see all that nature in all its glory. And I learned so much more in those few days than I'll ever learn in a few weeks. And I can love it, all at the same time. And I believe that's how learning should be; you don't learn or study or whatever because you have to, or because someone forces you to, or because you need a good start in life. You learn because you want to; you learn because you love it, because you want it, because right here, right now, there's nothing else you would rather do.

When Mr Ng left us last night, the last thing I said to him was "Have fun." It wasn't "Go learn something," or "Earn loads of money," or even "Get a wife." He left because he had to; but he went to Shanghai because he wanted to.

When Alain left to Australia, I didn't tell him to "Come back with a degree", or "Hook up with an Aussie girl". All I said to him was to have fun. Yes; I told him to study hard; but I never told him to study every night from 8-9.30, then do homework from 9.30 to 10.30.... He left because he wanted to; I bet he's over there, studying because he wants to, not because he's forced to do so.

When I left, no one told me to force myself to study really hard cause I was in a "smart person school" now. I went because I chose to; I've always studied because I chose to.

See a pattern? Apparently no one does. It's not reason enough to say that since you're supposed to be studying anyways, what difference does it make to go to the library? And it's equally not right to say that our boarding rules are so lax compared to other schools; just go down and study in the library.

If the library is such a wonderful place to study, why isn't everyone going down there? Why isn't the whole boarding school willingly going down there? There is, after all, no reason to force someone to do something that they already like, and is useful to them.

So what if you think I should go down to the library to study. That's an opinion; you don't have any right to force me to go down, just because you think it's good for me. I don't even trust you, in every aspect of my life. Why should I trust you that's it's better down there? God never left the choice of salvation just open like that; He had to make himself like us, small, fragile, pathetic, gain our trust, then open up the possibility of saving us. In the end, it's still our choice. He still cannot do anything if we don't choose Him.

And I don't see the reasoning behind: "If he can do it, so can you.". Are you stupid?! Just because someone studies because he's forced to, doesn't mean I work that way. Haven't you heard of the expression, "Everyone is unique.". Most people nowadays think it's just a fancy way of saying that no one is really special, that mentality has just spread, and become so much worse. So be it.

Let the world rot. I'll be leaving it in about seventy more years anyway.

And they say Singapore kids are getting apathetic. Ask yourselves; just who are the people who stifle creativity, choke uniqueness and discourage individuality?

No comments: